Search This Blog

NB. This blog has my personal views and are not necessarily those of Wessec OC, capishe!

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Ammaia and Elvas

Sightseeing today. Started by visiting Ammaia, an amazing abandoned Roman town that is only 5% excavated. What always surprises me about these places is that they were abandoned in the first place. Then on to Elvas a stunning walled town. The most complete in Portugal. First fortified by Islam. Extended in medieval times then finally during the 17th century. Amazing aqueduct serving the city. Visited the contemporary art exhibition. It's probably me but contemporary art just doesn't do it. Isn't art supposed to be uplifting and beautiful? Odd bits of metal lying around or a bed made from valium tablets. Art? Don't think so. Journey to and from Elvas made under lovely clear blue skies, quite flat in places with the horizon going on for miles. View from the Castle at Elvas just went on and on. Anyone object if I just list What we are up to on FB. Can't get this site to post the photos I want see gobbledegook above and am only duplicating things. Opinions??

1 comment:

  1. Photos look good to me. I prefer this to FB, but that's me :)

    ReplyDelete